Jacksonville Degenerative Disc Disease Treatment
Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) is when an intervertebral disc, or disc, is wearing down and can cause chronic pain. As we age, these discs naturally degenerate and change. Aside from aging, some people’s disc may start to degenerate after an auto accident, or even a sports injury. Many people who have this disease experience flare ups but it typically does not get worse over time. However, the good news is that there are many manageable treatment options to get you feeling much better!
Chiropractors maintain a unique focus on spinal manipulation and treatment of the nervous system and/or musculoskeletal system. They work with the nerves to reduce pain and give you relief.
Degenerative Disc Disease Treatment in our Jacksonville Beach Chiropractic Clinic
When you come to our office for your first exam, the doctor will go through your past medical history and determine which areas have restricted joint motion, possible disc injury or muscle spasms by performing a few tests. The chiropractor will also need an imaging test, so they may take X-Rays or an MRI. After a thorough examination, the doctor will diagnose your particular condition and form the perfect treatment plan to reduce your symptoms of DDD.
The main goal of chiropractic care is to improve the joints mechanics and reduce nerve irritation. This will help with range of motion as well as reducing inflammation. The particular form of treatment used to help treat your DDD symptoms is spinal manipulation. There are many different types. Some common techniques are:
- Diversified spinal manipulation: is a gentle thrusting technique to restore the movements in your joints.
- Instrument-assisted manipulation: this technique uses a hand-held instrument where the chiropractor will apply a gentle force with the tool to the area without a high velocity and/or rotation thrust directly into the spine.
- Along with spinal manipulation, the chiropractor also offers physio-therapy modalities to help reduce inflammation caused by DDD. Some of these techniques include:
- Electric Stimulation: This therapy uses a low frequency of an electrical current that stimulates directly to your muscles and nervous system thereby reducing pain and inflammation.
- Ultrasound: This therapy sends high frequency sound waves deep into your muscle tissue. It will create heat that enhances circulation. Ultrasound can help reduce muscle spasms, stiffness, and pain.
Along with all of these therapies, some chiropractors will recommend specific therapeutic exercises which can help in combination of the other therapies. Chiropractors will work hard to treat your DDD and address all the symptoms that you have.
Remember there is no actual cure for this disease but with proper treatment and nutrition your discs can be maintained.
Here at Integrative Healthcare Solutions, we dedicate ourselves to your well-being and making sure your pain get resolved, or subsides to a manageable level, so you can get back to your normal day-to-day activities!