Benefits of Chiropractic Care
The human spine is an amazing structure! It protects the spinal cord, absorbs shock, provides support to your head and body, and allows your body to move flexibly. It is composed of bones called vertebrae through which nerves pass and branch out to the rest of the body. When one of these vertebrae becomes misaligned (subluxation), pressure is placed on the nerves causing irritation and pain in the affected area.
Chiropractors are able to relieve this pressure through spinal adjustments and manipulation, thereby alleviating any pain or discomfort. Although the spine is widely considered one of the most vital parts of the human body, most people don’t see a chiropractor for the first time until they’ve reached their 40’s. What that means is that the typical chiropractic patient’s body (and spine) goes through an average of 40 years of stress, poor posture, and misalignment before any preventative measure is taken. What’s worse is that the typical motivation for chiropractic visits is for pain. Many first-time patients seeking chiropractic care do so as a remedy for some type of back pain or discomfort.
Here are just a few of the proven benefits of chiropractic:
• Chiropractic Helps During Pregnancy
• Chiropractic Reduces Inflammation
• Chiropractic Boosts Immunity
• Chiropractic Reduces High Blood Pressure
• Chiropractic Reduces Stress
• Chiropractic Improves Balance
• Chiropractic Relieves Colic
• Chiropractic Can Help with Multiple Sclerosis
• Chiropractic Helps Patients Avoid Surgery
• Chiropractic Improves Asthma Symptoms
• Chiropractic Helps with Arthritis
• Chiropractic Helps Relieve Migraine Headaches
• Chiropractic Improves Athletic Performance
• Chiropractic Helps Scoliosis
• Chiropractic Helps with Frozen Shoulder
Regular chiropractic care benefits the body and mind in many ways:
1. Boosts Immunity
A strong and healthy immune system should be able to fend off most bacterial or viral intruders. The nervous system controls and regulates organ, tissue, and cell functions in your body. If a person has “subluxation” – or misaligned bone in their spine – it could interfere with their nervous system and weaken the individual’s immune system. By receiving a chiropractic adjustment, the subluxation is corrected and proper nerve supply is restored.
When the immune system is free of nerve interference, the organs, tissues and cells can function optimally. Studies have shown that people who use chiropractic care regularly have fewer colds; and when they do the symptoms are less severe.
2. Improves Digestion
The nerves that runs through the thoracic spine controls the stomach and the stomach’s functions. If the vertebrae of this mid-back region become misaligned, the irritation of these nerves will distort messages between the brain and body, causing erratic nerve impulses to the stomach increasing acid production.
Heartburn, acid reflux, gas, bloating, or a combination of these. Chiropractic adjustments remove misalignments that may be impinging nerves, which normalizes nerve flow often eliminating stomach issues.
3. Increases Energy
Your body’s energy flow will become blocked if your spinal bones are locked and when the neck and back muscles are tense. Sore and/or tense muscles are the result of the joints not being able to move freely, thus causing all the muscles around the joint to contract and spasm. By repositioning the joints to their proper place, the muscles relax and the energy can then flow freely through your body.
4. Reduces Blood Pressure
A WebMD research study concluded that a chiropractic care adjustment of the first cervical vertebrae in the neck to be as equally effective as taking TWO blood pressure medications simultaneously. This works by freeing up the nerve supply to the heart. Since the spinal nerves in the upper neck help regulate blood pressure, any nerve obstruction in this area can lead to hypertension.
5. Helps Control Asthma
Asthma is a chronic lung disease that inflames and narrows the body’s airway passages. Asthma is typically characterized by recurring periods of wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath, and coughing. Chiropractic however is not a cure for asthma, but many people with asthma report some type of improvement after receiving chiropractic care! The diaphragm and lungs are regulated by nerves that travel through your spinal cord. The nerve impulses responsible for lung function leave the brain, travel down the spinal cord and exit the mid-cervical and thoracic regions of the spine. Misalignments in these areas of the spine can cause the lungs to function abnormally. By correcting any types of subluxations, proper nerve supply is restored to the lungs.
6. Promotes a Healthier Pregnancy
Not only is chiropractic care during pregnancy safe, but it is also very beneficial and highly recommended! During pregnancy, significant hormonal and physical changes occur that affect the function of the nervous system. An increase in weight puts a tremendous amount of stress on the joints and forces the body to compensate often leading to a destabilized spine. Pain and discomfort, particularly in the low back and pelvis usually follow after due to the weight gain.
Regular chiropractic care affords a more comfortable pregnancy and delivery for both mother and baby. Chiropractic care stimulates the nervous system to facilitate proper function of your reproductive organs, thus supporting the needs of your baby throughout the pregnancy and even during delivery. Low back pain has often been described as an inevitable complication of pregnancy; with regular chiropractic care, it no longer has to be!
Chiropractic care helps more than just back and neck pain though! It helps maintain a properly functioning spine and the keeps the integrity of the nervous system, which is essential for overall good health.
7. Enhanced Quality of Life
Many patients who receive chiropractic care report an enhanced quality of life as one of the most significant benefits. Patients' satisfaction with chiropractic care and their enhanced quality of life often is tied to the amount of time the chiropractor spends with them and the individualized care they receive.
Studies by leading medical journals in recent years have confirmed the benefits of chiropractic care:
- “A 1993 report by the Ontario Ministry of Health concluded that chiropractic care was the most effective treatment for lower back pain. The agency also recommended that chiropractic care be fully integrated in the Canadian government's health care system”.
- “In 1994, the federal Agency for Health Care Policy and Research published its Clinical Practice Guidelines, which asserted that spinal manipulation was effective in reducing pain and speeding recovery among patients with acute low back symptoms without radiculopathy”.
- “A 1996 New England Journal of Medicine study of outcomes and costs for acute low back pain found that patients treated by chiropractors were significantly more satisfied than those who saw primary care, orthopedic or managed care practitioners”.
- “A 1996 study in the journal Spine echoed that study and found that patients who sought chiropractic care were more likely to feel that treatment was helpful, more likely to be satisfied with their care, and less likely to seek care from another provider for the same condition, compared to those who sought care from medical doctors”.
- “In 2001, the Center for Clinical Health Policy Research at Duke University concluded in a study that spinal manipulation resulted in almost immediate improvement for cervicogenic headaches, or those that originate in the neck, and had significantly fewer side effects and longer-lasting relief of tension-type headache than a commonly prescribed medication”.